Photo by Miguel Rivera

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Apollo Creek Riesling and Pino Noir

Numbers 2 and 3 of our $6 wines, these are grouped together because I don't have much to say about either one.

The Riesling didn't taste a whole lot like Riesling to me. It didn't have the scent of citrus or honey, the bright fruity flavor that I look for in a Riesling. On the other hand, at least it wasn't sweet. I can forgive a lot in a $6 Riesling if it isn't sweet. This one just tasted like a nondescript semi-dry white, a little acidic without much else going on. I used about a cup of it in some homemade lobster and crab ravioli, and those came out fantastic, so I guess I don't have much to complain about here.
The Pino Noir reminded me why I only sometimes like this varietal. I can handle a mediocre Cabernet or Carmenere, but a so-so Pino is pretty undrinkable for me. My overwhelming impression of this wine was dry dry dry. Duh, it's a Pino Noir, it's supposed to be dry, but it didn't seem to have anything else to it. A little research at http://www.wineanorak.com/tannins.htm confirmed my hunch: this wine was, for me, too heavy on the tannins without other flavors to balance it out. I wouldn't go for this one again, probably not even for $6… maybe for $5 tho…

No comments:

Post a Comment