Photo by Miguel Rivera

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Vinho Verde




Let me start by saying that this is the first of 3 wines Eric got at Pino's $6 wine sale, so the bar is a little lower when the bottle costs less than a Tastee-sub. My first interest in this wine was linguistic—it says white wine, but its name translates to "green wine"…very confusing. It may have been that power of suggestion, but the first and strongest flavor I got was green apple. Coming from me, this means it's pretty powerful, because I NEVER taste the fruit / chocolate / earth that I'm supposed to taste in a wine. It's not exactly "Pucker," but the flavor is unmistakable, which made it really interesting. Other than the apple, it has a fresh, crisp, not too sweet taste. It went beautifully with the jarlsberg (or maybe gruyere?), olives and bread we had with it. I don't know if this is a wine I'd reach for all the time, or to go with a wide range of foods, but with something that goes well with the apple flavor, it's a tasty wine and a nice change of pace.



EDIT: Had a little bit of this again last night at a party. It tasted WAY sweeter than I remembered it being last time. I'm not sure what causes differences like that: temperature probably plays into it (the wine last night wasn't as cold as when we had it at home) but it's gotta be something more. For now I'll just chalk it up to my highly uneducated palate. From the way it tasted last night, though, I wouldn't necessarily go for it again. Way too sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment